Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: CD-ROM drive speeds

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: CD-ROM drive speeds
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 13:26:18 -0600

it is not atypical for a "fast" CD drive to spin up and down constantly when
it's being randomly accessed or playing a 1x CD.  But when I'm running
something like cdparanoia (or cat /dev/scd1 > /devnull), it pulls the data
off the drive as fast as the drive is capable at sustained rates.  There
should never even be an opporitunity for the drive to spin down.

--
Remember folks.  Street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70
mph.  -Jim Samuels