Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: mail apps for linux

To: <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: mail apps for linux
From: "Dale W Hodge" <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 09:45:35 -0600

> does anyone on this list use Postilion for e-mail?  i'm messing around
> with it now, and it's a bit overwhelming...  until now, i've just been
> storing all my e-mail in /var/spool/mail/<username>...  is this still a
> good idea, or would it be wise to setup procmail to sort my incoming
> email to something like ~/mail/*, where * is a different mail folder
> for each usergroup, important person, relative, etc...  i'm working on
> doing it now and i'm interested in how it will turn out...  are there
> other apps that support reading stuff like this (it works in pine, but
> i always have to browse to each diff folder to make sure i've read
> everything...

I use procmail to handle the 25+ different mailing lists I'm on.  Procmail
sorts messages into my /mail directory placing each into  file called in.*.
I've got IMAPD running on my server, so I tell pine to consider my mailbox
to be a IMAP folder. This allows you to be able to add all the in.*
"folders" to the inbox, where I log in once and can tab into each folder to
read. Setting up IMAPD has the added benefit of being able to read messages
from a remote box (running Win9x or Linux & X) without downloading a copy of
the messages to the local machine. As always, YMMV.

--dwh

Dale W Hodge * dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx * dwh@xxxxxxxx * dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
             -- www.neuralmatrix.org * www.dnd-automotive.com --
        -= Visit the Aclug Companion http://aclug.neuralmatrix.org =-