Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: Fonts and Browsers

To: <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Fonts and Browsers
From: "Larry Bottorff" <mrprenzl@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 22:56:38 -0600

This doesn't really help. "Allow Scaling" only applies to the two fonts
specified, variable and fixed. The variable width font (mine's Times) only
gets used when the page author left the font as default. Today, however,
authors rarely leave fonts default, usually using CSS or in-line styling to
choose a sans serif font like Verdana or Arial. And overruling the author's
fonts and font size ratios is counterproductive for Web authoring. In the
past, I've produced a page (in Linux/emacs/NS), then had to look at in on
Win98-IE/NS to see how it renders--all for the greater audience still using
such stuff.

The really super sites literally develop separate pages for all the
different platform-browser combinations, then use scripting to tell which
page to send. It's madness. I'll check some of the newsgroups where I think
I've seen this issue discussed before. Supposedly, truly scalable,
anti-aliased fonts will come soon. . . .