Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1999:
[aclug-L] KDE Lock-up & PPA Fail

To: "'aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx'" <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] KDE Lock-up & PPA Fail
From: "David H. Spurlock" <DHS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 13:15:36 -0600

Tried RedHat 6.0 last week at home. I liked the multiple window managers but
COL 2.3 with its easy setup and tweaking had already spoiled me. So I
deleted RedHat and reinstalled 2.3 but forgot that Lizard doesn't initialize
the swap space. Took care of that. Then I had 3 fairly serious problems at
random intervals.

KDE locked-up on me twice. Once I was able to recover with Ctrl-Alt-Bkspc.
Another time when it dropped me down to KDM, the screen was blank. I used
Ctrl-Alt-F1 and was back to a Level 3 log-in. The last lock-up occurred with
Netscape 4.61 (whatever ships with COL 2.3.) I was waiting for a web page to
load when the lock-up occurred. I was forced to power-down to get out of
that one. Any ideas? Spec's below:

Distro: COL 2.3
RAM 48 MB
CPU: Cyrix 166 MHz
Linux Native: 2044 MB
Linux Swap: 98 MB
Video Card: STB Nitro 3D (4 MB)
Monitor: CTX VL700
Resolution: 1024x768 @ thousands of colors
KDE 1.1.1 (with Theme Manager)

My second problem is with PPA. It shows Fail during the initial boot. It is
on LPT2 but the printer is on LPT1. I read somewhere that there is a config
file and the line with PPA has to be inserted prior to LPD. I can load and
mount through a terminal window. Any thoughts or solutions?

Regards,

David Spurlock
Senior Technician
Interex/XLR8 Tech Support