Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: Problem setting up Apache webserver

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Problem setting up Apache webserver
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 01:52:19 -0600

Well, you don't really run a web server from the console--it usually runs in
the background.  I'm not sure how you check for the existance of a program
like that on RedHat.  I'm sure there's a way. =)

To answer your second question (that you really didn't ask)... Are you
really needing to run your own web SERVER?  Or would it suffice to put your
web page on another server (such as on the server your ISP provides to you)?
Unless you have a dedicated Internet connection with a static IP address,
running a web server on your own machine will be of little use to the
outside world.  To get the absolute minimum dedicated connection from
SouthWind, for instance, is $180/month for a 33.6k dedicated connection.  To
run a web server you'd really want more than that if at all
possible--probably 64k or 128k ISDN, and then you're looking at more like
$350-$550/month.

Then on the other hand... with a SouthWind account (and most other ISPs do
the same thing) you get 5mb of storage space on THEIR server for a web
page--it's free (with your dialup account) and it's a lot faster (21mbit vs.
64kbit or 128kbit--200-300 times faster than ISDN).

If you want your own domain name (www.tile-rpg.org), you're looking at about
$35/month with SouthWind (and probably much less elsewhere if you want to
shop around a bit), with about a $100 setup ($70 for the domain name--you'll
pay this regardless of which ISP you use, and about $25 setup charged by
SouthWind--other ISPs will have different setup fees).

Anyway... that's some food for thought.  I'm sorry I'm not sure how to
answer your specific question about Apache in RedHat.

On Sun, Nov 28, 1999 at 11:11:24PM -0600, Patrick R. Klee wrote:
> Hi again,
>
>     I have Red Hat 6.1 and I am almost positive I have Apache webserver,
> but I can't find it in my menu, so how do I start it up at the console?
>
> I want to run my own webserver, or website, because I am making an
> X-Window tile-based online RPG.
>
> Cheers,
> Patrick Klee

  Jonathan Hall  *  jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx  *  PGP public key available
 Systems Admin, Future Internet Services; Goessel, KS * (316) 367-2487
         http://www.futureks.net  *  PGP Key ID: FE 00 FD 51
                  -=  Running Debian GNU/Linux  =-