Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: Programming under Linux and some books

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Programming under Linux and some books
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 01:42:42 -0600

I say, if you're new to the subject, spend some time at the public library
first.  The WPL is a great source for C books.  They may not all be specific
to Linux, but C is really pretty much the same regardless of which operating
system you're using, until you start getting into some more advanced stuff.

I'd say visit the WPL and get 4-5 books on C (even if they're 5 years old--C
hasn't changed much).  Read/scim through those first.  Get a feel for C that
way.  Then, when you've either exhasted the WPL's resources, or when you
decide you know enough about C to know you want to invest in your own C
book(s), purchase some then.

I've learned nearly all of my programming from public libraries, from BASIC
on my Commodore 64 to Pascal to C.  It's a great resource, and it's free!

On Sun, Nov 28, 1999 at 10:37:47PM -0600, Patrick R. Klee wrote:
> Hello all,
>     Does anyone know where I can get some good programming books for
> Linux and what are some names, and where can I get them?  I want to buy
> Gnome and GTK+ programming but I know nothing about C/C++.  I want to
> get that book and also, a REALLY, REALLY good book on C for Linux.
> Also, where can I get the titles you would recommend?
>
> Thanx,
> Patrick

  Jonathan Hall  *  jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx  *  PGP public key available
 Systems Admin, Future Internet Services; Goessel, KS * (316) 367-2487
         http://www.futureks.net  *  PGP Key ID: FE 00 FD 51
                  -=  Running Debian GNU/Linux  =-