Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: Problem setting up Apache webserver

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Problem setting up Apache webserver
From: Wayne White <WWHITE1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 07:48:56 -0600

At 11:11 PM 11/28/1999 -0600, you wrote:
>Hi again,
>
>    I have Red Hat 6.1 and I am almost positive I have Apache webserver,
>but I can't find it in my menu, so how do I start it up at the console?
>
>I want to run my own webserver, or website, because I am making an
>X-Window tile-based online RPG.
>
>Cheers,
>Patrick Klee

If you installed Apache when you installed RH it is most probably
running on its own. That seems to be the default with the RH setup.
To find out start netscape and put your computer's IP in the URL
line. If you get the "It worked" screen then Apache is starting
when you boot. If you don't have a IP number assigned to your
machine you can use the lo IP (127.0.0.1). Then the Apache man
page should explain how/where to put your web pages for service.

Another poster pointed out the problem of dynamically assigned
IP's from your ISP and serving web pages from your computer. The
way I get around that is by using a page on SouthWind's server
to redirect visitors to the server on my linux machine. Then
a simple shell script to update the html on the SW server when
I'm assigned a new IP keeps everything current. This won't help
if you're hoping for a personal domain name, but if your interest
is just to make a local web server available it will.

Wayne