Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: Program needs libm.so.5

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Program needs libm.so.5
From: Nate Bargmann <ka0rny@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 06:31:44 -0600

On Wed, Nov 17, 1999 at 12:35:26AM -0600, kai & steven Hallacy wrote:
> Boy I'm beat.
>
> I appreciate everyones help.   I think there were six libraries that my
> program could not open.
> Some were in the /usr/X11R6/lib directory.  I copy them to the /usr/lib
> directory.  However, one could not be found (libc.so.5), so
> I used the next best thing libc.so.6.
>
> The program finally gave me a segmentation fault.

Did you install the program using dselect?  Just this week I installed
Acrobat Reader 3.02 on my Debian box and dselect took care the
dependecies which included a number of older version 5 runtime C libs
and libXt for X linked to the libc5 versions.

Of course, if the program you're trying to install doesn't come in a
.deb archive, then you'll have to do a bit more work.  You can install
runtime versions of libc5 with dselect that your program should be
able to use.  You may need to do some extra work like starting the
program through a shell script that sets up environment variables that
point it to the older libs as your standard libc.so and libm.so, etc.
are links to the libc6 versions, a.k.a. glibc 2.07 on Slink, a.k.a.
Debian 2.1.

- Nate >>

--

 Packet   | N0NB @ WF0A.#SCKS.KS.USA.NOAM       | "None can love freedom