Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: Program needs libm.so.5

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Program needs libm.so.5
From: Jeff <schaller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 05:38:20 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, kai & steven Hallacy wrote:

> I appreciate everyones help.  I think there were six libraries
> that my program could not open. Some were in the /usr/X11R6/lib
> directory.  I copy them to the /usr/lib directory.  However, one
> could not be found (libc.so.5), so I used the next best thing
> libc.so.6.
>
> The program finally gave me a segmentation fault.
>
> Has anyone out there had this problem? Is this a Debian problem?
> Should I consider changing to a different linux installation? This
> program runs at school on redhat linux.

Ack.  You should not have to copy library files from /usr/X11* to
/usr/lib ... the compiler should include /usr/X11 in its path (of
places to look for libraries).  You can do this with something like:
        gcc -L/usr/X11R6/lib

Another thought hit me regarding the math library: is the /lib/libm.so
file that you have right now just a link?  Could you send the output
of an:  ls -l /lib/libm.so

I'm worried that maybe your real math library got trashed and so you
just have a dangling link pointing to it.  Otherwise (if it's a real
file), you're OK.  If a normal compile (well, link) fails because it
didn't find the math functions, add a "-lm" to the compile line:
        gcc -o file file.c -lm

-jeff
--
"It's not just the apocalypse, it's the humidity." - Joel of MST3K