Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: Mail Server Question

To: <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Mail Server Question
From: "Dale W Hodge" <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 08:51:33 -0600

> > I have a dedicated Mail/Internet server and was wondering how to
> > do the following (I have a dial on demand Internet Connection).
> > I want it to look for new mail (fetchmail) and send out any mail
> > that it has queued (sendmail) every 45 minutes or so.  What is the
> > best way to do this?  I would put it in as a Cron job, but I only
> > want it to run when I'm connected.  I'm using Diald to connect.
>
> Put it in a cron job and have the script check the status of the PPP
> connection.  If it's up, run fetchmail and sendmail -q

Another option, which worked well for me, is to put the fetchmail and
sendmail commands in the ip-up script.  You'll want to run fetchmail in
daemon mode <fetchmail -d 300>, where you can specify how often to check,
and do a fetchmail --kill in the ip-down script.  On sendmail, you can set
the queue to run every 5 minutes while online <sendmail -q5m> (ip-up) and
then reset it to some large number that will make sure it doesn't run when
offline <sendmail -q 1w> (ip-down).

Check the man pages for the various option flags, and customize to your
liking.

--dwh

 -
Dale W Hodge  *  dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx * dwh@xxxxxxxx *