Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: install?

To: <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: install?
From: "Dale W Hodge" <dwh@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 09:57:04 -0600

> Who is pretty hot with the new laptops,  I am wanting to put the latest
> version of linux on the work laptop. I am going to set up about 2 gig
> for Linux. It has sound, 400pII, 15", all the toys.

A number of us have laptops, but the Networkshop proved that none of us know
everything about laptps.  For the most part it's best to check the linux
laptops page http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/ to see if
your particular model is listed (you don't mention what it is) and find out
if there is anything special you need to accomodate linux.  For the most
part it should just install, however some sound and video cards have to be
initalized in DOS first.

> On another related, I have a personal laptop it is only 4 meg ram, and
> the manufacture  quit supporting it, and nobody makes the special
> connector for the ram module.  I have tried to follow the lowmem howto,
> but nothing has worked yet.  It keeps hanging up.

I'm afraid you are likely to find this machine to be of minimal use. But at
what point does the install hang? A few details may help us figure out your
problem.

--dwh

-
Dale W Hodge  *  dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx * dwh@xxxxxxxx *