Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Video Card Recommendation!!

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Video Card Recommendation!!
From: Thomas Wallis <wallis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 08:53:21 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 29 Aug 1999, Mohammad Islam wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am thinking about buying a new video card for my linux machine.
> Currently it has a Diamond stealth card(4 MB).  I recently purchased a
> monitor that can do 1280x1024 @75 Hz with unlimited color support. Now i
> would like a video card that can support 1280x1024 in 32 bit true color.
>
> So i am asking for recommendation from the list members. Ummm...also..
> does linux support AGP cards? If so, would someone name some specific
> brands/chipset that will work great with linux?

        Our lab machines use the Matrox G200 AGP card.  I have some
trouble with them at certain resolutions.  The driver is from a newer
version of XFree86 than comes with Debian 2.1.   I have the same card at
home and it works fine (I use D 2.0 at home with the same upgraded
driver).  The Matrox driver is supposedly one of the best available for
LINUX, the last time I looked.

        I have also use the Riva TNT PCI cards in a few machines.  I got a
good deal on a 16M version of this card a while back and it seems to work
reasonably well.  Every once in a while , Xwindows will crash and log me
out, but otherwise OK.

        For an older card, some of the better S3 cards might be OK.
You might check www.xfree86.org for more details.

                                Hope this helps,

                                Tom W.

> Thanks.
>
> Mohammed

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed here are my own and not those of WSU.

EMAIL address:  wallis@xxxxxxxxxxx    wallis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx