Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Video Card Recommendation!!

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Video Card Recommendation!!
From: Bob_Deep <bobd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 13:36:54 +0000

Mohammad Islam wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am thinking about buying a new video card for my linux machine.
> Currently it has a Diamond stealth card(4 MB).  I recently purchased a
> monitor that can do 1280x1024 @75 Hz with unlimited color support. Now i
> would like a video card that can support 1280x1024 in 32 bit true color.
>
> So i am asking for recommendation from the list members. Ummm...also..
> does linux support AGP cards? If so, would someone name some specific
> brands/chipset that will work great with linux?

My Voodoo Banshee from 3dfx works great!  I beleive that any Voodoo
card, the new Voodoo 3's included, work with the latest release of
XFree86, though the setup is not that easy yet.  The Banshee will do up
to 1600x1280 (I beleive) at just about ANY sync rate and comes with 16
Meg of memory so running 32 bit color is not a problem...

You can get some applications that use the 3d accelaration of the
Voodoo's, but at this point there is not much out there for linux
written for glide lib...

I have not heard of anybody writing X-drivers for the TNT cards, even
though they are more popular in the Windows market..  Anybody heard of
that yet?

Oh.. An AGP card is simply another PCI port to Linux...  So don't worry
too much about that.

--
      -=  Bob =-
Hey.. This is my mail and I charge for SPAM I receive...