Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Where are the HOWTOs and some other questions...

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Where are the HOWTOs and some other questions...
From: Bob_Deep <bobd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 13:06:41 +0000

Michael Holmes wrote:

> The slackware CD has images to load from 1.44 floppies.  From there you
> could upgrade.  I've tried it, and it works.  It will be a lot of work.
>  Once you get the old Linux in, you will have to upgrade, if you want
> newer, as the slackware I was given is version 3.6  You could configure the
> PPP connection and download the stuff you wanted to plug in, but this will
> be very time consuming. Another thought, is if you purchased the red hat
> CD's from redhat, they have support.  They may have it in floppy form and
> the scripts to load it.
>
> Another route, is to borrow a IDE cdrom, and load it in and then remove the
> cdrom.

If you know anybody with a network card you can borrow, you could useing
red hat (and many other distrubutions) do a NFS based install from
another machine on the network...

I do this to install red hat on some workstations we got w/o CD-Rom
Drives...  Just plug it into the network, insert the floppy, and in
about 20 min I have a complete install with no questions asked...  Of
course you would have to answer all the nit-picky questions for your
install...

Apart from that.. You can simply grab your hard drive and have someone
copy the CD onto it...  I think you can install off of the hard drive
directly if you want as well..

--
      -=  Bob =-
Hey.. This is my mail and I charge for SPAM I receive...