Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: July 1999:
[aclug-L] Shoutcast server...

To: "Air Capital LUG" <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Shoutcast server...
From: "Bob Bonifield" <augur@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 18:54:34 -0500

Hey all.

I was wondering if anybody here has had any experience setting up a Linux
based shoutcast server.  I have been trying on it for awhile now and have
come to some success and some failure.  First of all, I downloaded the Linux
based Nullsoft shoutcast server files from www.winamp.com and those worked
fine after properly setup.  But my problem lies in getting the program
called "shout" to work properly.  Shout is a program designed to send the
streaming mp3s to the shoutcast server for playing.  The Nullsoft server
does not play the mp3s itself, it lets you either play them from a remote
location, IE a windows box, or just by using shout on your own linux
computer.  Either way, I grabed shout from www.freshmeat.net and got it all
setup to work.  But everytime I try to start a stream of mp3s the stupid
thing won't connect.  I can't get it work.  I know it's not a problem in the
configuration of the actual server due to the fact that I have sent the mp3s
to the server from my windows box before.  I just can't get it to send to
itself.  I know it's supported, but I can't get it to work.  Thanks for any
help or responses on this.  It's not exactly a important thing of mine to
get done, just another one of those cool things I like to have my linux box
do. :)  Hope to hear from you guys soon,
See ya.

----
Bob Bonifield
Email:  augur@xxxxxxxxxxx