Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: July 1999:
[aclug-L] SAMBA expert needed

To: <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] SAMBA expert needed
From: "David Carmichael" <dec29111@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 07:53:24 -0500

Hello - This is my first posting to this group...

As the web contact for the Wichita, Kansas Linux users group I hope that you
can help me...

First off... as much as I would like to take part in the local meetings...
at this time due to my wife's and myself working hours I am unable to attend
the evening meetings (we only have one working auto and she works second
shift and I work third)

I have been watching 'ZDTV' on my DirecTV system for the last year and on
the show 'ScreenSavers' they got me hooked on trying out this 'LINUX'
operating system...

So I have been trying to install it on an AMD5x86-133 system.... I have got
the base operating system with GUI installed, OPTi based sound card working
in 'SoundBlaster Pro' mode, network card works _BUT_ <the reason for this
letter really>, can not seem to get my 28.8 PnP modem to work <its not a
WinModem and is listed as a working Linux modem on one of the web pages that
I found> that works in my Windows partition on the same machine.

What I am looking for is a SAMBA expert...

Currently I have a Win'98 home network running WinGate Home Proxy.

I just want to add my Linux Box to this network..

The network "SEE"s the box but.. I can not seem to get the box into the same
workgroup and to share drives, also it sends out data and DNS requests when
I start up and from Netscape.. but does not allow data to be received back
into the box, I am also having some sort of 'PASSWORD' conflict with the
machine when I try to view the drives from a Win'98 machine.

After I have a chance to learn the system a bit better and I get either a
cable modem or ASDL installed I would like to move this machine to be the
proxy server / firewall.

The version of Linux that I am working with is RED HAT 6.0.

Maybe you could forward this letter to somebody that you think can help me
out in person between the hours of 8:30 - Noon.

==David