Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: July 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] SAMBA expert needed

To: <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] SAMBA expert needed
From: "Bob Bonifield" <augur@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 11:11:25 -0500

Hi David,

Let me start off by saying that I am NOT a Samba expert, however I have had
some experience in the area.  My first question I have to ask is have you
made a user on your Linux box with the same name and password as the network
login on your windows box?  This is a very important detail for samba to
work properly.  It has to make sure when you try to login, that you are
listed as one of it's valid users.  Another thing right off the bat, have
you checked out the Samba HOW-TO document?  If not, the URL for that is:
http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/SMB-HOWTO.html

But onto the problem at hand.  You are going to need to do some
configuration of Samba itself.  First off you will need to start editing
your /etc/smb.conf.  This file is the  configuration file for SMB and tells
where other computers are located on the network along with what sharing
capabilities to give them.

Another problem you are going to run into is Encrypted passwords.  By
default, later versions of Windows have the use of encrypted password on.
This can cause some problems in the compliance of your Windows box and Linux
box working together.  I won't suggest a route for you to take.  It is
basically a personal decision that you'll have to make.  Some people would
like the security of encrypted passwords, some people would not.  Whatever
suits your fancy should work just fine though.  But when you do start trying
to do either of these solutions, check out the "6. Sharing A Linux Drive
With Windows Machines" in the SMB HOW-TO file to get a little more info on
the subject.

I'm not sure if there is much more that I can think to tell you right off
the top of my head, but I basically would suggest for you to look through
the Samba HOW-TO file.  It will get you aquatinted with SMB and help you get
it working a little faster.  One more thing, I'm sure someone else will
probably post on this later, so I am not you last source of hope or
information on this subject.  Besides, I'm only 16 and have not yet learned
all the Linux tricks and run arounds.

Hope all that helped...
----
Bob Bonifield