Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: May 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Setting up my own server...

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Setting up my own server...
From: Jeff <schaller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 10:58:30 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 25 May 1999, Carl D Cravens wrote:

> Running a news server doesn't mean getting a full feed, or even a

True; I assumed that he meant a full feed.

> That said, news, as well as many of the other things desired here, isn't a
> trivial thing to set up.
>
> These services really aren't something to mess with without good manuals,
> like the O'Reilly books.
>
> Am I saying "leave this to the professionals?"  No... I'm saying, "Be
> prepared to become one of the professionals."   You don't fully grasp
> the complexity of the situation until you feel overwhelmed by it.  :)

seconded :)
These are the kinds of things that people get paid 60k+ a year to do;
don't expect a couple HOWTOs and a mailing list to be able to provide the
same sort of expertise.  That said, it _is_ possible to learn, but as I
said, it'll take a LOT of reading, tinkering, time, and patience. Good
luck.

-jeff
--
Do you realize how many holes there could be
if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?