Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: May 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Setting up my own server...

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Setting up my own server...
From: Dale W Hodge <dwh@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 13:39:47 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 25 May 1999, Patrick Klee wrote:

> Greetings,
>     I want to run my own server, with the following:

First off, consult the many available HOWTO's and MINI-HOWTO's available
at the Linux Documentation Project http://metalab.unc.edu/linux

> - My own domain name.

This assumes you have a 24x7 connection to the web. Go to
www.networksolutions.com and fill out an application.  If you don't have
24x7 access, then you will have to find dynamic hosting service that can
redirect people to your site when it is connected.  This will still
involve registering a domain name with networksolutions.

> - My own news server.

Assuming you are only looking for a partial feed, try using INN and
get-news.  There are HOWTO's available.  It's not too hard to do.

> - My own mail server, for my employees to access from my computer.

See the Sendmail man pages. Or go buy the book.  Sendmail can be a bit
confusing, but at least Debian does a good job of configuring it with
scripts. YMMV.

> - My own FTP server.

See the documentation for wu-ftpd or pro-ftpd. I'd suggest locating their
web sites and browsing the documentation there. Another trivial task.

> - Changing from root to my own username so I can't get a virus.

See the adduser man page.

If you are a techno-geek this should be easy stuff...

 Dale W Hodge  dwh@xxxxxxxx, dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxx
 Web Page: www.sktc.net/~dwh, www.dnd.ddns.org
   __   _
 / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /  . . .  t h e   c h o i c e   o f   a