Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: May 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Need topic suggestions

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Need topic suggestions
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 11 May 1999 16:56:26 -0500

Hi,

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions!  I'm hearing that a lot of
people would like to discuss networking.  We did have a meeting on
this recently, but it looks like people are interested in the details
now that we've discussed the foundations.  Also, there is interest in
security, which is closely related.

So, what I think I'll do is come prepared to talk about a lot of
different aspects on networking and security, but with no set list of
things to talk about.  Sorta a Q&A type format; we can discuss those
issues that the people in the audience would like to se discussed.
What I'm seeing is that people are interested in a lot of different
aspects of networking: IP  masquerading, PPP configuration, routing,
etc., and I think that this may be the most effective way to cover the
specific things that people are interested in.

Sound good?

The Apache+Database suggestion is a good one, too.  I think that
perhaps we could even go over the very basic concepts at the
networking evening, but more detailed coverage will have to be another
time.  Databases have been suggested before, as well, and I think
Apache integration is a great way to present it.  Perhaps either
databases as part of an apache/server night, or apache as part of a
database night, or something like that; it has been awhile since we've
done a more technical meeting, so maybe even SQL basics would be
good.  On a side note, do we have any PHP experts in here that would
be interested in talking about it?  While I'm willing to learn enough
about PHP myself to talk about it, I'd prefer that if it will be
something that will be covered, that someone more experienced with it
discuss it.

Thanks again for the comments.  Keep them coming!

-- John