Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Video Card Support

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Video Card Support
From: Nate Bargmann <ka0rny@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 18:38:35 -0500

This will probably be of ZERO assistance, but I do remember a similar
issue when I had a Diamond Speedstar 64.  If I recall, the 64's memory
aperature had to begin (or end, I can't remember) on a memory boundary
that was a multiple of 16 MB.  Originally, I had 12 MB of ram in the
machine and XFree 3.1.2 worked well.  In March of '97 I added 16 MB to
boost it to its present 28 MB.  X stopped working.  I had a garbled
screen and other non-sense.  I later found some setting in
/etc/XF86Config that changed this setting (which defaulted to around 16
MB) and everything began working again.

The upshot is that X had to look for the video ram at some point above
the upper boundary of the physical RAM.  After that things worked as
well as before.

Later that summer I upgraded to XFree 3.3.0 and installed an ATI
Graphics Xpression VLB card, which I presently use.

- Nate >>

--

 Packet   | N0NB @ WF0A.#SCKS.KS.USA.NOAM       | "None can love freedom
 Internet | ka0rny@xxxxxxxxxx                   | heartily, but good