Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Attempt to regain LINUX from NT

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Attempt to regain LINUX from NT
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 03 Apr 1999 16:44:15 -0500

Seth Turner <spiff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> So far I know I shouldn't put lilo back into the MBR of my NT drive cause NT
> will cry about it and not work, not that it does anyway.  But I don't follow

Actually, they should work fine.  I believe I've done it that way before.

> the proceedure to put lilo in the MBR of my second drive and then edit the
> NT bootloader to include linux.

Putting it into the MBR of the second drive isn't going to help
because the BIOS doesn't look there for booting.

> boot=/dev/hda
> root=/dev/hdb5

OK, this puts lilo in the MBR of the first drive.  Looks good.

> compact
> install=/boot/boot.b
> map=/boot/map
> vga=normal
>
> delay=50
> image=/vmlinuz
>   label=Linux
>   read-only
> image=/vmlinuz.old
>   label=Linux.old
>   read-only
> other=/dev/hda1
>   label=Winblows95

Probably just rename this to NT or something

> since I have been in NT I have added a tape colorado tape backup (old 250MB)
> it is on the same ribbon as the floppy drive, I am hoping this isn't going
> to cause trouble with Linux, even hoping that I can use it via Linux.

Probably you can; there is a "ftape" driver.