Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] ppp, again

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] ppp, again
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 02 Apr 1999 22:29:01 -0600

"Jeffrey L. Hansen" <jhansen@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Oh senile one . . .
>
> What does that make me?  You know, I never even considered that?  I would
> have looked at that originally in a windows box.  I guess I'm just so far
> out of my element that it escaped me entirely.  I think I'll crack the case
> and yank the sound card (which doesn't work either, by the way).  I was at
> a M$ seminar yesterday so had little time for the Linux box.  Just long
> enough to tick me off completely.

Some things to check:

look at the output from dmesg or /var/log/kern.log and see what it
says about the serial ports.  It will probably talk about tty a bit.
Does it see your ports?

Try to cat from /dev/ttyS0, /dev/ttyS1, /dev/ttyS2, and /dev/ttyS3.
At least some of those will report an error -- ones that Linux doesn't
detect.  If it does detect a port on the device you're trying, cat
will just appear to pause for a bit; use Ctrl-C.  This is a way to
check to see if Linux is seeing the port.

See what /proc/interrupts says.  Also, /proc/ioports can be
instructive.

Try using Minicom set to a port speed of 9600.  Does the modem respond
to AT at that speed?  Is minicom set to the proper serial port?

John