Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Dumb Question #137 : Southwind Connect

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Dumb Question #137 : Southwind Connect
From: Steven Saner <ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 08:58:46 -0600

My first guess is that you are getting connected, but name service
isn't working. Did you put DNS addresses in /etc/resolv.conf?

nameserver 206.53.103.1
nameserver 206.53.103.3

You can test this by entering an IP address in netscape rather than a
name. Try 206.53.103.2, that should get SouthWind's home page. You
might also try pinging some IP address from your command line:

ping 206.53.103.2

If the above is not the answer then it would be helpful to see what
your log files show. I'm not familiar with Red Hat and how it
configures syslog, but there should be something in /var/log with some
useful information.

On Fri, Mar 26, 1999 at 08:34:26AM -0600, Carl B. Davis wrote:
> I have Linux 5.2 installed on small network.  I want to use netscape on
> Linux to access the internet.  ISP is Southwind.  I got the "Connecting
> to SouthWind with Linux" paper by John Goerzen.  Last night I also read
> through 2" of printouts downloaded from the net but I still don't get
> it.  Here's what happens.
>
> I followed the instruction in the Connecting to Southwind.  I have
> created/edited pap-secrets ; southwind.chat ; and options.
>
> I type pppd /dev/modem 115200 to start up PPP.
>
> It dials and handshakes.  There is no message on the command line.  It
> is an external modem and the light indicate a connection is made.  The
> rd cd lights aren't flashing because nothing is being exchanged.
>
> Now What?  I tried starting netscape and it just stares back at me
> stupidly while it tries to find a URL.  (Like looking in a mirror).  Is
> there something else I should be doing?  I think it might be connecting,
> but not sending name and password.
>
> How can I test this?  Minicom works and I can dial southwind and get
> their text menu.  I also tried to ping the name server ip addresses and
> got nothing.
>
> Thanks for any help you can lend.
>
> Carl
> ---
> This is the Air Capital Linux Users Group discussion list.  If you
> want to unsubscribe, send the word "unsubscribe" to
> aclug-L-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx.  If you want to post to the list, send your
> message to aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx.

Steven Saner                            SouthWind Internet Access, Inc.
ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                    Junior Systems Administrator
http://www2.southwind.net/~ssaner       support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                        http://www.southwind.net
                                        263-7963 Wichita  (800)525-7963