Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Dumb Question #137 : Southwind Connect

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Dumb Question #137 : Southwind Connect
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 26 Mar 1999 11:34:32 -0600

"Carl B. Davis" <cdavis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I followed the instruction in the Connecting to Southwind.  I have
> created/edited pap-secrets ; southwind.chat ; and options.

With the southwind.chat in particular, it is *extremely* important
that it be exactly right -- one character difference can cause you to
not get a PPP but instead a Unix login prompt.  The recommended way is
to snag the tarfile
http://www2.southwind.net/~jgoerzen/linuxppp/linuxppp.tar and use it
as specified at http://www2.southwind.net/~jgoerzen/linux-swind.html.
(Basically, just edit the pap-secrets and options files).

> Now What?  I tried starting netscape and it just stares back at me
> stupidly while it tries to find a URL.  (Like looking in a mirror).  Is
> there something else I should be doing?  I think it might be connecting,
> but not sending name and password.

It should abort fairly quickly if that were the problem.  One of
/var/log/ppp, /var/log/ppp.log, /var/log/syslog, or /var/log/messages
ought to have some helpful information in it.  If you can post that
here, we can probably go from there.  Also, try Steve's suggestions
regarding DNS.