Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Dumb Question #137 : Southwind Connect

To: ACLUG List <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Dumb Question #137 : Southwind Connect
From: Jeff <schaller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 08:40:48 -0600 (CST)

[ Carl with southwind ppp troubles ]

I also use linux, ppp, and southwind.  Most of the time it's OK, but
recently (and I haven't been keeping any kind of statistics), I've been
noticing behavior like yours.  ppp will start, the modem will connect, but
somehow the networking doesn't get completely set up.  I've seen a range
from:
complete lack of network (ping onyx -> unknown host, ping nameserver ->
network unreachable)
half-assed network (ping onyx -> 80% packetloss, 5 second return time)

I usually end up restarting the ppp connection, and is usually eventually
working.

One thing you can look in is /var/log/messages for the chat output (to
make sure it connects), and theoretically /var/log/daemons or wherever
/etc/syslog.conf points daemon info messages to.  I say theoretically
because I haven't seen pppd log anything there yet, even with
'pppd /dev/modem blah blah debug'

"one of these days" I mean to trace down exactly what script is getting
called where in order to pin down this problem a bit better (and learn a
bit), but there's bigger fish at the moment :)

-jeff "half-heartedly blaming southwind at the moment" ;)