Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Video card choice (was: Debian package management)

To: <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Video card choice (was: Debian package management)
From: "Greg House" <ghouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 00:17:50 -0600

John wrote:

>Try:
>
> * Make sure you have the 3.3.3.1 (or whatever the latest is) binaries
> * run SuperProbe and see if it detects your card properly
> * If so, make sure you use that setting in xf86config/XF86Setup

I had written:

>> At that point I stuck the STB card in there.  It worked better with the
STB
>> card (uses an S3 Virge/VX chipset), but I can't seem to get anything
beyond
>> 8bpp to work.
>>
>> Sort of disturbingly, it actually locks the entire machine when starting
>> at 16bpp (or with acceleration enabled...).  Down to the hardware level,
the
>> ATX hot power switch won't even turn the thing off!  The reset switch
still
>> works, but that's about it.  None of the ALT-Fn or Ctrl-Alt-Backspace,
>> Ctrl-Alt-Delete, Ctrl-C, none of that does anything.

I've run SuperProbe, and it returned the same information I was putting in.

Looking through DejaNews, I found a couple of things to try.  One
particularly interesting one described a similar problem which was resolved
by removing APM from the kernel.  The poster was quite emphatic that a S3
Virge/VX card absolutely wouldn't work with APM enabled.  But...that was
with XFree86 3.2.something probably on a way old kernel too.  The msg was a
couple of years old, I'd have thought the probelm would have gotten fixed by
now, but it's probably worth a shot to try it.  I also found a couple of
Device sections from people's XF86Config files which I can try.

Thanks,
Greg