Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Debian package management

To: <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Debian package management
From: "Greg House" <ghouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 00:12:47 -0600

>> Now...figuring all that out still didn't really help me a whole lot.  It
>> seems Vincent's debs had a whole rash of dependancies.  I started
fetchinig

>Well, the trouble is, that they are based on a distribution two
>versions greater than yours.  (Ie, potato, I believe, which is the
>development tree for 3.0, due out this fall.)  It should work pretty
>well on a Slink system though (prerelease of 2.1, due out on March
>9).

Ah, I understand now.  If they're potato-based, it's no wonder they won't
install without some grief on my hamm system.

>> the debs from the unstable tree for the things it complained about until
>> finally got stuck in a dependancy deadlock.  When I tried to put one of
them

>Which packages are involved here?  You may be better off using things
>from "slink" -- it's really close to release.  unstable stuff can be,
>well, unstable :-)

I don't honestly remember and don't to go through the grief to get it to
that point again.  The chief (and final) complainer was one fo the -devel
libraries, but I can't remember which one.

At this point, to go to XFree86 3.3.3.1, I'm going to go ahead with the
.tgz's from xfree86.org.  Installing them surely CAN'T be much more hassle
then this!

Greg