Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Debian package management

To: ACLUG-list <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Debian package management
From: Dale W Hodge <dwh@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 10:46:51 -0600 (EST)

On Tue, 2 Mar 1999, Greg House wrote:

> Ok, ignorant question time.  I've only recently started using Debian and
> it's package manager is confusing me.  I can get dselect to work with the
> packages on the CD reasonably well.  Problem is that I can't seem to get it
> to find debs I stick in a directory somewhere.
[snip>
> Oh yeah, and the Debian packages have debs for a whole bunch of adjunct
> functions so after weeding out the X servers I don't need, I still have have
> 36 debs that need to be installed.  All of which are probably already
> installed in a previous incarnation.  Do I have to do every one of these one
> at a time?  What a pain.
>
> Enough whining...  Can someone tell me how to make dselect find these things
> and install them?

I'm doing this from memory, so please bear with me...

First mount your cdrom. Then when you first start dselect at the menu
select the first item (I think it's labeled access) and tell it to use an
already mounted file system.  It will prompt you for the locations of the
various file groups. Make sure you tell it to [scan] for packages when you
enter the location for local files.   When finished, select the second
item (Update?) it will look through your directory and find the files you
have added and build an index for them. Now you can choose select and it
will have the packages listed as newly available  or updated programs.
The updated programs will be automatically selected for installation.  Be
very careful to check dependancies, (as if it would let you do otherwise)
as sometimes changing one thing will break 10 others.  If you find this to
be the case, expecially where large numbers of programs get broken, back
out of select and you can rerun access and update to revert back to your
previous mode.  Just remember to have it update the file lists whenever
you add new files to your local install directory.

If I haven't forgetten anything, this should be all you need to get things
up and running...

 Dale W Hodge  dwh@xxxxxxxx, dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxx
 Web Page: www.sktc.net/~dwh, www.dnd.ddns.org
   __   _
 / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /  . . .  t h e   c h o i c e   o f   a