Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] redhat 5.1

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] redhat 5.1
From: Jesse Kaufman <kaufmjes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 03:44:53 +0000

jeffrey.hansen@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Did I see something on the RedHat site that implied there was a problem
> with the installation disk on IDE systems?  I'm using the boot disk that I
> used to install the system on my main machine and it boots fine on another
> SCSI based system, but I get a screenfull of secret code stuff and it gorks
> out when I try to install it on my IDE system (MyComp motherboard, Pentium
> P5-133, Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 (S3 Virge)).  Is there anyone with a
> similar experience?  I'm going to take this box to the install on Saturday,
> but thought I'd shake out any hardware SNAFU's beforehand.  I was looking
> through the patches on the RedHat site and saw something about IDE
> problems, but I'm not sure it's a general problem.  Any help?

strange...  it installed just fine on my IDE system...  i've got a P200 comp
w/ a 2.1gig Quantum IDE hard drive...  never had a single error...  i've
talked to other people w/ similar problems, however, and it ended being a bad
motherboard... he couldn't even install windoze on it! (he tried just to test
the system...not to use! : ^ )

jesse

--
"If we don't stand up to Micro$oft, who will?"
     - The Boycott Micro$oft Web Page

http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~mdw/boycott/