Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] New ACLUG Linux Resource!

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] New ACLUG Linux Resource!
From: "Brian J. Chapman" <bchapman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 16:07:11 -0600

At 1/16/99 06:37 PM , John Goerzen wrote:
> The Makefile that generates all the ACLUG pages is now looking
> particularly
> scary.  Those of you that have used Makefiles may want to examine it at
> http://www.aclug.org/Makefile if you're curious about what happens when
> people try to make Makefiles do more than they're supposed to :-)

now thats cool! i'm not sure i follow all of it yet though. ;-)

You know, I'm always amazed how versatile GNU utilities can be. I'm sure
that when they were designing CVS, Make, m4 etc... they weren't thinking
about website creation and maintenance but yet they work frightenly well,
better infact, than any custom solution I've used thus far.

I used to be a the webmaster at a previous job. (But they only belived in
"The Microsoft Solution" for things...blecth! :p)  I can't tell you how
frustrating it was when the PHB's decided that they wanted to change the
fonts and I had to manually go through each page and change them instead
of just simply amending an m4 macro and reissuing a make command. the
bastards! ;-)

(ofcourse i could have made it easier on myself if it had used CSS but i
decided against it because most customers were on MACs and CSS support
wasn't available (under Navigator) on that platform at the time).

Oh, um, ok i'll stop rambling now. Just wanted to say nice work or
something. :)

PS: i like the "rm core" part. does that happen often? :D  heehee

 Brian James Chapman | bchapman@xxxxxxxxx | www.feist.com/~bchapman