Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] phoebe micro pci modem 56k

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] phoebe micro pci modem 56k
From: Bob Deep <bobd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 1998 12:28:46 -0600

jdavis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> There are no jumpers on the card, and is isapnp just for isa or for pci
> also, because the modem is pci..

Hmmmm...  I've actually never tried it on a PCI card myself come to
think of it...  I don't know if there is a difference...

For a PCI card, you should be able to assign the interrupt and such in
the bios.... But this is way out of my comfort zone...

Being a PCI card, it would seem that you likely have a winmodem... Again
for 2 reasons...  PCI interfaces are a tad more expensive than the old
ISA stuff, and a winmodem would require much higher bus traffic to
accomplish all the tasks required when you leave out a UART...  This
means that an ISA modem is more likely to be a "real" one, casue it
would be cheaper to build that way... (Most folk still have ISA slots
too... Although in the high end, that's a changin)

Try the loadlin approach... See if the modem works when you set it up in
Dos/Windows first.  Just try the same serial port that window's
assings.. If it works, then we can figure out how to directly do it in
linux... If it don't...  Pay a visit to CompUSA, Circit City, National
Computer or the like and find a good modem...  You can always be sure an
external modem is going to work (assuming your PC has a free serial port
to use), and it's sorta nice to see das blinkn' lites when you are
trying to debug a ppp connection or get diald to work...  Besides, the
modem is then portable and useable on a laptop, you won't ever have to
open the case to install/remove your modem, and phone line lightin'
strikes are less likelly to hurt much more than the modem...

The down side is that you have to find a place to plug in the power
supply...

-= bob =-