Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1998:
Re: Windevices was: RE: [aclug-L] phoebe micro pci modem 56k

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Windevices was: RE: [aclug-L] phoebe micro pci modem 56k
From: Steven Saner <ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 11:57:16 -0600

Generally speaking, if the modem, printer, etc. says that it is
compatible with DOS, it will probably work with Linux, at least to
some extent. If you have a device with no documentation, on way to
tell would be to put it in a Win95 machine, boot it, and see if the
Win95 PNP detects the device and tells you what it is.

On Fri, Dec 04, 1998 at 11:18:34AM -0600, Thomas Wallis wrote:

>       This discussion brings up an interesting question.  How can you
> tell if a modem is a Winmodem or not?  Also, how about Winprinters?
> When I go to CompUsa or Best Buy, I see lots of PCI and ISA modems some of
> them pretty cheap.  I suspect that sooner or later, they will ALL be
> Winmodems, except for external ones.   Also, the printer situation is
> ugly.  Even on the manufacturer's websites, they don't say exactly
> WINPRINTER.  They tell you it works with Windows 95, 98, and NT.  That
> doesn't mean it wouldn't work with LINUX.   I often check Dejanews to find
> out about a particular printer under LINUX.  That is about all you can do,
> it seems.
>
>       Any thoughts?
>
>                               Tom Wallis
>

> > 1.  It's a PNP card that is really a full serial port and modem... In
> > which case you would need to get isapnp and get the PNP config right...
> > Or simply boot into Dos/Windows and use loadlin to hot boot linux.  Then
> > your modem will work... (Sometimes it's possible to "jumper" the
> > hardware to ignore PnP, but that's not very likely.)
> >
> > 2.  It's really one of those cheep-o Winmodems....  In which case, it is
> > not lilely to ever work with linux. So break out the cash for an
> > external modem and be done with it...
> >
> > -= bob =-
> > ---
> > This is the Air Capital Linux Users Group discussion list.  If you
> > want to unsubscribe, send the word "unsubscribe" to
> > aclug-L-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx.  If you want to post to the list, send your
> > message to aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx.
> >

> > ---
> > This is the Air Capital Linux Users Group discussion list.  If you
> > want to unsubscribe, send the word "unsubscribe" to
> > aclug-L-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx.  If you want to post to the list, send your
> > message to aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx.
> >

> Disclaimer: All opinions expressed here are my own and not those of WSU.
>
> EMAIL address:  wallis@xxxxxxxxxxx    wallis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>

> ---
> This is the Air Capital Linux Users Group discussion list.  If you
> want to unsubscribe, send the word "unsubscribe" to
> aclug-L-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx.  If you want to post to the list, send your
> message to aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx.

Steven Saner                            SouthWind Internet Access, Inc.
ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                    Technical Support
http://www2.southwind.net/~ssaner       support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                        http://www.southwind.net
                                        263-7963 Wichita  (800)525-7963