Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] phoebe micro pci modem 56k

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] phoebe micro pci modem 56k
From: Bob Deep <bobd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 1998 10:49:24 -0600

jdavis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Well, Nothing.  I setup a PPP connection, but it does nothing.  It's a PnP
> card, so I'm figuring it's a win modem deal.  Anyone wanna trade?

There are 2 possible situations here....

1.  It's a PNP card that is really a full serial port and modem... In
which case you would need to get isapnp and get the PNP config right...
Or simply boot into Dos/Windows and use loadlin to hot boot linux.  Then
your modem will work... (Sometimes it's possible to "jumper" the
hardware to ignore PnP, but that's not very likely.)

2.  It's really one of those cheep-o Winmodems....  In which case, it is
not lilely to ever work with linux. So break out the cash for an
external modem and be done with it...

-= bob =-