Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] Modem configuration question

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Modem configuration question
From: Dale W Hodge <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 16:36:34 -0500 (CDT)

On 15 Oct 1998 aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Absolutely. In fact, the rule of thumb has always been to use 2 and treat
> 9 as a RESERVE and never use it. It's not surprising that Linux does it
> the "right" way and the infamous 95 hardware autodetect wizard sets it on
> 9. :-)
>
> If you wanted to actually fix anything, it would be to change it under 95
> over to 2 (manually), but it doesn't really matter as long as it's
> working.
>
> Remember the Microsoft slogan:  "If it's broke, don't fix it!"  ;-)
>
> Anyway, if its not Plug'N'Pray, you might take a look at the modem and see
> what the jumpers are set to. Probably Port 2e8h like you said and IRQ 2,
> but 95 got confused and said 9 (since 9 is cascaded to 2).
>
> So...what was the question? oh yeah! Yes it should work on 2 under Linux
> :)
>
> and don't forget to `ln -sf /dev/cua3 /dev/modem' (as root) so that all
> your programs can be setup up to use /dev/modem so in the future if you
> change port assignments all you do is have to relink /dev/modem and not
> reconfigure half your software ;)

I beg to differ with you.  Here's my interrupts:

linux:/proc$ cat interrupts
 0:   19164367   timer
 1:      23488   keyboard
 2:          0   cascade
 3:      27884 + serial
 4:     338984 + serial
 9:      13305   eth0
10:     131353 + serial
11:         33 + aha152x
13:          0   math error
14:     312959 + ide0
15:        894 + ide1

Irq 2 is clearly the cascade, and irq 9 is a valid irq.  My understanding
was to avoid using 2, as 9-15 are linked through it.

Also the cua devices are depreciated, you should use the ttyS? instead of
cua?.

 Dale W Hodge  dwh@xxxxxxxx, dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxx
 Web Page: www.dwh.dyn.ml.org , www.dnd.ddns.org