Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] Modem configuration question

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Modem configuration question
From: Steven Saner <ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 00:45:41 -0500

Once you get your modem working, look at the following page for
information about getting PPP setup to connect to SouthWind.

http://www.aclug.org/ispconn/

On Thu, Oct 15, 1998 at 12:29:39AM -0500, Brian J Chapman wrote:
> The PC architecture was designed in the Dark Ages and has plagued mankind
> ever since. IRQ 9 _IS_ IRQ 2, i forget the technical reason at the moment
> but basicaly just think of 9 as a mirror to 2 and never set anything on
> it otherwise strange happenings may abound.
>

> -- Brian James Chapman <bchapman@xxxxxxxxx>
> "Absolutely nothing should be concluded from these figures except that no
> conclusion can be drawn from them." -- Joseph L. Brothers,
> Linux/PowerPC Project
>

> On Wed, 14 Oct 1998, Greg House wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > My name is Greg House and I'm fairly new to this list.  Been reading on the
> > web archive for awhile, but just got on last week.  I also just started
> > working with Linux.  While I've been experimenting with several different
> > distributions on my PC, the current one is Slackware (3.5).
> >
> > I've been trying to set up a PPP connection to my ISP (Southwind) and I'm
> > having a little trouble.  I apologize if this is a FAQ, but I've looked
> > around a bit (PPP HOWTO, PPP FAQ, Serial HOWTO) and haven't found this.
> >
> > I have a modem (Harmony 56Kflex) that's set up as COM4 to DOS, it's IRQ 9,
> > I/O address 0x2E8.  It's been over a year since I built this PC and I think
> > there was some conflict that made me move the IRQ out there, but I don't
> > honestly remember what the reason was.  Anyway, that's where it's at right
> > now.  My understanding is that since this is a "nonstandard" IRQ, I need to
> > use setserial to configure the IRQ for the device.  I tried this and it
> > didn't correctly change the IRQ.
> >
> > I use the command:
> >
> > /sbin/setserial /dev/cua3 irq 9
> >
> > This changed my IRQ to 2...  I don't understand how that happened.  I edited
> > rc.serial (in /etc/rc.d/) and commented out the setserial line that
> > autosensed the IRQ and put in one to explicitly set it to 9.  When the
> > system is rebooted, setserial -a (or -b) says it's set to 3.  If I use the
> > setserial command above, it sets it to 2.
> >
> > What am I doing wrong?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Greg
> >
> > ---
> > This is the Air Capitol Linux Users Group discussion list.  If you
> > want to unsubscribe, send the word "unsubscribe" to
> > aclug-L-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx.  If you want to post to the list, send your
> > message to aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx.
> >

> ---
> This is the Air Capitol Linux Users Group discussion list.  If you
> want to unsubscribe, send the word "unsubscribe" to
> aclug-L-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx.  If you want to post to the list, send your
> message to aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx.

Steven Saner                            SouthWind Internet Access, Inc.
ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                    Technical Support
http://www2.southwind.net/~ssaner       support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                        http://www.southwind.net
                                        263-7963 Wichita  (800)525-7963