Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] Modem configuration question

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Modem configuration question
From: Brian J Chapman <bchapman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 01:24:50 -0500 (CDT)

okay, i checked my hardware reference so if anyone cares here's the real
story (what me sleep?):

back in the dinosaur days of the PC/XT there was a chip called the 8259A.
The XT (and the 8259A) only had 8 interrupts. But when along came the AT
specification, they included a second 8259 giving an additional 7 IRQs. 7
because to connect the second interrupt controller they disconnected IRQ 2
from the bus on the first chip and had it receive the output of IRQ 9.
Thus 2 == 9.

My book also states that the AT design has always had provisions for
interrupt sharing but it's use was left up to hardware manufactures and
programmers. hmm...i wonder why no one implemented it?

 Brian James Chapman | bchapman@xxxxxxxxx | www.feist.com/~bchapman
  "Absolutely nothing should be concluded from these figures except
   that no conclusion can be drawn from them."
                         -- Joseph Brothers, Linux/PowerPC Project