Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] PPP

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] PPP
From: Wayne White <wwhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 1998 16:31:19 -0500

At 07:41 AM 10/9/1998 -0500, you wrote:
>OK, perhaps it would be best to restart from the beginning.
>
>Start with my instructions at http://www.aclug.org/ispconn/ and then
>download and untar the tar file.  Move the files in place as described
>in the document, then edit them as directed, and then try the pppd
>command.  If that is working, then perhaps you can try for the network
>config tool.  However, I must point out that these X tools do not
>always work.  My instructions are distribution-neutral and will work
>anywhere.

John, I've tried your instructions. I think I had it all as specified.
Just to make sure, I just deleted options, pap-secrets and southwind.chat,
downloaded them anew and reconfigured them for my situation per your
instructions. Then tried pppd and it failed to establish a ppp
connection. It can't get it together on the pap confirmation. They send
LCP lines back and forth until it times out.

>If you are using a graphical tool, note the following:

I haven't been able to get the graphical tool to connect to SW either.
That is how I got hooked up to PowwwerNet though.

> * SouthWind uses PAP for authentication.
> * You should NOT have any login script.  Doing so will mess things up.

I don't think I have a login script. If I do, I don't think I created it.
Where should I look to be certain that I don't?

> * Make sure you've got the correct phone numbers (in your info
>   packet)

Here's something I was wondering about. Would it make ANY difference to
your set up that I am calling into the El Dorado modem pool? I am. I don't
know why it might matter, but I wondered if it did.

> * DNS numbers go in /etc/resolv.conf

This is as your instructions indicate it should be.

>My generic instructions will take care of these things for you.  Also,
>I will shortly be releasing a script available for download that will
>ask you a few questions and then generate the appropriate files.
>
>John

As always John, thank you for your help. I look forward to hearing
any ideas you might have. I would also be willing to send you any
files or logs that you think would help to shed light on the nature
of my dilemma.

Wayne