Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] Subnet Mask Problem

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Subnet Mask Problem
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 28 Sep 1998 08:28:20 -0500

There's an easier way.

There is a network 10.*.*.* that is one of these ones that is
guaranteed never to be used.

You can say something like this:

10.0.subnet.host

Let's say you have, then, 10.0.5.100.  Your subnet is 5 and the host
is 100.

Your fully-qualified netmask, then, is 10.0.5.0/255.255.255.0.

The first number is the network base address, and the second one is
the netmask.

If you really don't need to segment up your network into separate
subnets (you probably don't if you're just running at home), just grab
10.*.*.*:

10.0.0.0/255.0.0.0

and start allocating numbers from in there however you like.

John

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx |