Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] Redhat 5.1 Installation

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Redhat 5.1 Installation
From: phrostie <phrostie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 15:04:19 -0500

jeffrey.hansen@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I'm afraid I'm too dim to figure out what I did wrong.  I've got the system
installed and "working" but can't access my cdrom.  I found, on another
installation of 5.1, that there was a redirection to "hdc" for some reason.
check /etc/fstab you should have an entry (line) that has iso9660.that is your cdrom.  it might be called /dev/cdrom, /dev/hdb,  /dev/hdc, /dev/hdd.
in my case it is /dev/hdd.  and i don't even have a /dev/hdc.  it skipped it.
this has to do with which socket in your ribbon cable you attached it to(my guess).

if you don't have any such listing, try each untill you find one that works

rather than editing your fstab each time use

mount -t iso9660 -0 ro /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

correct for /dev and mount point

On that one all we did was move the file hdc to cdrom and it worked.  I
tried that on my machine but had no luck.  I'm using an Adaptec 2940U with
a Panasonic 20x and even installed the system using it.  Now it's
inaccessable.  Also, I'm not sure what to do to make a dual processor
Kernel.  I noticed that I can recompile for multi support, but the Redhat
book doesn't get into explicit instructions about that.  I'm also trying to
set up ppp for my ISP (sktc.net) but that's also causing me mental
oscillation.

using scripts is always preferred but if you can't try netcfghttp://www.aclug.org/info/contrib/netcfg/
 The whole problem is that I'm trying to keep up with studies
so I can't invest time exploring for answers and I really need to have it
availible for use with school.

I would really appreciate help from anyone who doesn't mind working with a
real slow mind.

i'm from West Texas, everything is slow where i come from.

Thanks,
Jeff

---
This is the Air Capitol Linux Users Group discussion list.  If you
aclug-L-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx.  If you want to post to the list, send your

phrostie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Oh I've slipped the surly bonds of dos
and danced the skies on LINUX silvered wings.