Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] Redhat 5.1 Installation

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Redhat 5.1 Installation
From: Bob Deep <bobd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 09:27:41 -0500

jeffrey.hansen@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I'm afraid I'm too dim to figure out what I did wrong.  I've got the system
> installed and "working" but can't access my cdrom.

You did not do anything wrong, Red Hat did.  The problem is that the
kernel code that handles the file system on a CDROM is not loaded (or
compiled in).  Check 2 things... 1. Make sure the module is available in
/lib/modules/2.0.34/fs/isofs.o  2. Make sure you are running kerneld by
running the ps command.   If the module exists, kerneld is running and
the cdrom is in your /etc/fstab (look for "/dev/cdrom
/mnt/cdrom      iso9660  user,exec,dev,suid,ro,noauto 0 0" ). things
should work.

> Also, I'm not sure what to do to make a dual processor
> Kernel.  I noticed that I can recompile for multi support, but the Redhat
> book doesn't get into explicit instructions about that.

Hmmm... You have a multi-processor motherboard?  Great!  Don't know how
to turn that on in linux, but it's there.

>  I'm also trying to
> set up ppp for my ISP (sktc.net) but that's also causing me mental
> oscillation.

Due to the nature of ISP's (Each doing it there own way, sort of), you
are going to have to do some work to understand what's going on....

Knowing your username and password, you might get it to work using the
system configuration tool in Red Hat should get you started. (network ->
ppp/slip then setup your PPP connection).

I've heard that Red Hat made some mistakes in this area too, but I don't
know what exactly they are.  Give it a try and let us know the results.

-= bob =-