Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] How do I?

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] How do I?
From: Steven Saner <ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 09:59:29 -0500

On Mon, Sep 21, 1998 at 08:01:16AM -0500, Wayne White wrote:

clip...

> OK, some progress. the chmod 6oo did stop the error message. It did
> not fix the problem. On the ACLUG web page the instructions say to
> chmod 0700 /etc/ppp; chown root.root /etc/ppp. I had done this and
> was still getting the warning, and there lay the basis of that
> problem.

The commands that you did, above, will set the permissions for the
directory /etc/ppp, but that doesn't actually affect the permissions
of the files in the directory.

clip...

> Checked pap-secrets file, user name and password are correct. The LCP
> events I described were happening, but were not showing up in the log.
> It was suggested that adding *.*    /dev/tty9 to the syslog/conf file
> would allow watching the process on another tty while it was in progress.
> That is where I was seeing it. I tried logging on at about 7:46am today.

I see. In my case, those show up in the logs. In my syslog.conf file I
use the following:

local2.notice                                   /var/log/ppp
local2.debug;kern.debug                         /var/log/ppp_ext

That puts a very basic log of each connection in /var/log/ppp and if I
have debugging enabled it puts those extended logs in
/var/log/ppp_ext. Then again, you are using a newer version of pppd
than I am, so it is possible that it does logging a bit differently.

clip...

> The exchanges all contained [LCP ...  All of the ones from SW mentioned
> auth pap. They scroll by so fast that it is hard to read them, but it
> appears that SW is Conf req to which I reply with Conf rej. There is
> more to the exchanges, but go by too fast. I don't, however, recall
> seeing IPCP go by.

I'm kind of at a loss here. It appears that you have everything setup
correctly and I can't find anything in our (SouthWind) logs. If you
can find some way to get more details on the LCP events, it is a good
chance that we can figure something out. Perhaps adjusting the way
logging is done could help with that.

Remember that if you change the syslog.conf file you must restart
syslog so that it re-reads that file. You can simply restart the
computer or you can restart syslog by:

kill -SIGHUP Process Id of syslog

Good luck.

Steven Saner                            SouthWind Internet Access, Inc.
ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                    Technical Support
http://www2.southwind.net/~ssaner       support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                        http://www.southwind.net
                                        263-7963 Wichita  (800)525-7963