Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] How do I?

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] How do I?
From: Wayne White <wwhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 11:12:46 -0500

John,

Thanks for the instructions.

At 08:20 PM 9/18/1998 -0500, you wrote:
>Try typing "modprobe ppp".

When I do the 'modprobe ppp' command there is no response,
just another prompt.

>Then:
>
>cat /proc/devices
>cat /proc/modules
>
>You should see a "ppp" entry in one of those files if you have it
>compiled in.

'cat /proc/devices' returns no mention of ppp or similar notations.

'cat /proc/modules' returns the following, in part

ppp             5               0
slhc            2       [ppp]   0

It returns a couple of other lines depending on when you run it,
but always contains those two.

Does this establish that my kernel is in fact configured for a
ppp connection.

>John
>
>Wayne White <wwhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> In an effort to get me hooked up on ppp several of you
>> have suggested that I man not have the kernel configured
>> for ppp. How do I tell if it is or not?
>>
>> Wayne

In looking at the debug log it appears that SW is issuing a
Conf req and I am replying with a Conf rej and then issuing
a Conf req back to SW. Does this point to the potential
problem by any chance?

Thanks much,

Wayne