Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] How do I?

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] How do I?
From: Wayne White <wwhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 08:01:16 -0500

At 10:05 PM 9/20/1998 -0500, you wrote:
>To determine what the permissions are on a file you have to look at
>the first column of the ls -l output. You divide it into four sections
>as follows:
>
>-|rwx|rwx|rwx
>
>The first section is a single character that tells you what kind of
>file it is. If you just have a - then it is a regular file. The next
>section is owner permissions, next is group permissions, and last is
>world permissions. Therefore your pap-secrets files does have world
>read and execute permissions. Do a chmod 600 pap-secrets and you
>should stop that warning message.

OK, some progress. the chmod 6oo did stop the error message. It did
not fix the problem. On the ACLUG web page the instructions say to
chmod 0700 /etc/ppp; chown root.root /etc/ppp. I had done this and
was still getting the warning, and there lay the basis of that
problem.

>I don't know that the warning is really the source of the problem.
>In your log file you go from:
>
>> localhost    pppd [282] :  Warning - secret file /etc7ppp/pap-secrets has
>> world and/or group access
>
>to:
>
>> localhost    pppd [282] :  Hangup (SIGHUP)
>
>Is there nothing in between there? You should have a bunch of LCP
>events.  Based on your comments above, the problem seems to be
>centered around a password problem. I wonder if this could be as
>simple as an incorrect password in the pap-secrets file. Have you
>double checked that? Remember that the username must be all lowercase
>and the password is case-sensitive. If you tell me the exact time that
>you try it next time, I can check SouthWind's logs and see what they
>might indicate. Or give me a call at work during business hours
>(numbers below).

Checked pap-secrets file, user name and password are correct. The LCP
events I described were happening, but were not showing up in the log.
It was suggested that adding *.*    /dev/tty9 to the syslog/conf file
would allow watching the process on another tty while it was in progress.
That is where I was seeing it. I tried logging on at about 7:46am today.

>I hate to beat a dead horse here, but you seem to be describing some
>things in your log file (Config req and Config rejects) that you did
>not list above. It would be really helpfull if you could send those
>lines. Particularly important are the ones that contain LCP, PAP, and
>IPCP.

The exchanges all contained [LCP ...  All of the ones from SW mentioned
auth pap. They scroll by so fast that it is hard to read them, but it
appears that SW is Conf req to which I reply with Conf rej. There is
more to the exchanges, but go by too fast. I don't, however, recall
seeing IPCP go by.