Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] BRAND SPANKIN' NEW HDD!!!!!!!!!

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] BRAND SPANKIN' NEW HDD!!!!!!!!!
From: Bob Deep <bobd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 09:14:40 -0500

Jeremy Johnstone wrote:

> I kinda agree with that but, I have had to many times where I had excess
> one place and not enough elsewhere and I never really like using symlinks
> for that purpose. Don't know why, just something weird about me.

Well, then just set aside some free space on the drive so you can "grow"
larger partitions when you need it.  My /usr partition was approaching
98% so I just set up a new partition that was twice as large in the free
space I had, made a new file system on it, copyied the old files onto
the new partition, changed the /usr mount in fstab and rebooted.

When I was sure the new /usr was the same as the old /usr, I just
removed the old partition....

Of course you have to tell yourself that even though you have a 6 Gig
hard drive you don't necessaraly have to have the whole thing formatted
all the time...

Shot in the dark for partition sizes on a large drive....(About what I
use..)

/       200 meg
/usr    700 meg
/home   200 meg  (Only 3 users on this sytem though)
/var    100 meg  (To keep logs from ending up on / and filing it up)
/tmp    100 meg  (Keeps all the temp files from filling things up too)
swap    64 meg   (At least 2X your Ram size but max 124/partition)

If you want to have larger  partitions, feel free to expand these.  You
won't likely need any more space on /var or /tmp.  If you get a lot of
software installed in /opt you may need a seperate partition for it, but
my system has nothing there yet.

Be sure that "/" is one of the first partitions layed out on the disk,
just incase you run into the 1024 sector limit with lilo.  I've heard
that some folks have a /boot partition as their first to avoid any
problems with lilo...

My /usr partition was filling up due to all the software I was loading.
If you don't load a lot of stuff, you may not need as much space.

Yea, I know the 6 Gig is not even half gone, but if you are not using
the space to start with why have it formatted.  I'd start with something
like the above setup, and adjust it according to your needs.

Total swap space should be 2 times your Ram size and in partitions that
are less than 128 (? not sure of the number) Meg in size... So if you
have more than 80 meg of ram, you may need 2 swap partitions... (or a
file to swap too, I know...)

You might try to look at your current system, and double the current
usage on your new drive, if you think that might be better.

-= bob =-