Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] BRAND SPANKIN' NEW HDD!!!!!!!!!

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] BRAND SPANKIN' NEW HDD!!!!!!!!!
From: Dale W Hodge <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 17:41:28 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 18 Sep 1998, John Phillips wrote:

> IMHO, minimum of 3 partitions : 120 MB swap, 1+ GB / (<=root), balance
> /home.  With this setup, you can re-format / without losing your
> personal source directories, you should be keeping a copy of your scripts
> somewhere in your /home directory ( NOT in root's home directory ), etc.
> More partitions than 3, after 6 months or so your will be a little fuzzy
> about what you wanted to put where.
> Enjoy the new space !

This is pretty much how I have mine set up.  / is currently using 615597
out of 1165918 (56%). That's everything including development tools and
source code and user files. /home has has the home directories, a
directory of DOS shares, the ftp root and the root for the Web server.
For a small system with only a few users I don't see the need for more
partitions....

 Dale W Hodge  dwh@xxxxxxxx  dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxx
 Web Page: www.dnd.ddns.org