Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] Very confused computer

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Very confused computer
From: sohel <sohel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 12:00:15 -0500

> In RH, there isn't an /etc/hostname.  Host information is stored in
> /etc/sysconfig/network, which is what the control-panel changes.

True, but there is a HOSTNAME file in /etc in RH... and it has the
hostname for my computer which is the same as what is in
/etc/sysconfig/network.

And i did a little testing.. started X and changed the hostname for my
computer through control panel ....went back and checked /etc/HOSTNAME
and /etc/sysconfig/network and found out that both of the files have
been changed.

The /etc/sysconfig/network file has a directive HOSTNAME=<name of host>
..and the valute of it is same as what is in the /etc/HOSTNAME file.

Now here is something interesting for the inquisitive minds:))

I start X.. fvwm95 comes up.. with one xterm window. Its titled in the
title bar "Enterprise-Main". My machine name(hostname) is Enterprise and
Domain is starfleet.net. Now i change my hostname to "Defiant" through
control-panel's network applet,i kiiled my X and start it again.
Everything comes up just fine like before except the main xterm window
now has the title "Defiant.starfleet.net-Main".

So my question to those inquisitive minds is: Why the main xterm window
is now showing the
FQDN(Fully qualified Domain name) and not just the hostname like before?

p.s. The names above are only used in my internal Lan isolated from the
internet.

Just my .02c worth. :))

Best,

sohel