Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 1998:
[aclug-L] Very confused computer

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Very confused computer
From: Wayne White <wwhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 08:36:54 -0500

Well, this newbie pulled a good one. Last night while trying
to retrieve Netscape Communicator 4.5 through a shell on
Southwind's onyx I did something that made my computer think
that it is now Southwind :-) I think I know how I did it, I'm
just not sure why it happened or what I should have done.

Anyway, here's what went on. Logged into a shell on onyx, my
prompt was "[Wayne@localhost Wayne]"When I started. I ftp'd to
the Netscape site and got the file down to /var/tmp on onyx. At
that point I didn't know how to get it into my machine. I knew it
would involve the use of zmodem, but after that I was guessing. I
tried several things that didn't work. Then I thought, hey,
let's suspend minicom and see if we stay connected to onyx. I
did. Then it had me by the short ones. I couldn't download the
file. I couldn't escape onyx. I couldn't restart minicom. Well,
you guessed it, the three finger fix. During the reboot I heard
the modem drop the connection. When the reboot was done my
prompt was "[Wayne@Southwind Wayne]$". I'm not sure if the "$"
was in the original "localhost" prompt or not. My guess is that
when I suspended minicom I became like another terminal on onyx,
so when I rebooted it came back to the last host it had known.

So, that's the story of how my Linux box became Southwind. Now,
the question is, how do I once again become "localhost"? I know
that if I were to reinstall Linux it would fix it. However, I
would rather not do that. I am thinking that learning how to
change the name of your computer might be a good lesson, and I
was never to fond of the appellation "localhost" anyway.

Anyone care to offer some instruction on where I went wrong,
how to fix it and/or what I should have done instead?

As always, any help, advice or instruction will be greatly
appreciated.

Wayne