Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] Very confused computer

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Very confused computer
From: Wayne White <wwhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 15:28:15 -0500

At 12:57 PM 9/11/1998 -0500, you wrote:

>On Fri, 11 Sep 1998, Wayne White wrote:
>
>> Anyway, here's what went on. Logged into a shell on onyx, my
>> prompt was "[Wayne@localhost Wayne]"When I started. I ftp'd to
>> the Netscape site and got the file down to /var/tmp on onyx. At
>> that point I didn't know how to get it into my machine. I knew it
>> would involve the use of zmodem, but after that I was guessing. I
>
>When I was on southwind through and I d/l a file with lynx it gave me the
>option to "download with zmodem" after chosing that it automatically
>started d/l .
>

>> tried several things that didn't work. Then I thought, hey,
>> let's suspend minicom and see if we stay connected to onyx.
>
>Why were you connected via minicom instead of ppp? If you were you could
>ftp netscape directly from netscape's ftp site.

I was using minicom because I have not rebuilt my kernel for a ppp connection.
I was connected via a shell of onyx. I was curious about shell connections and
discovered that it took just over 4 minutes to download the 17+Meg
Communicator
file to SW's disk. With zmodem it would have come from them to me in much less
time than a direct ftp. I figure that 17+Meg's would take an hour or more to
download via a ppp ftp connection.

>> did. Then it had me by the short ones. I couldn't download the
>> file. I couldn't escape onyx. I couldn't restart minicom. Well,
>> you guessed it, the three finger fix.
>
>a better thing to try :
>
>ps -x  #to find the pid of minicom
>kill -9 <pid>
>
>if that didn't work do a
>
>shutdown -r now
>
>which will reboot your computer after shutting everything down correctly.
>Not doing it that can hose a partition or worse.

I don't think any of this would have worked. I seem to remember being pretty
much locked out of the console. I guess I could have opened another console,
if I knew how, and then done something.

<snip>

>> So, that's the story of how my Linux box became Southwind. Now,
>> the question is, how do I once again become "localhost"? I know
>> that if I were to reinstall Linux it would fix it. However, I
>> would rather not do that. I am thinking that learning how to
>> change the name of your computer might be a good lesson, and I
>> was never to fond of the appellation "localhost" anyway.
>
>the name of your machine is in /etc/hostname so something like
>echo 'WaynesWorld' > /etc/hostname should change it.
>
>(of course you could bring up vi or some editor to change this, but allut
>that takes to long :) )

This seems to have done the trick. Thanks!

>> Anyone care to offer some instruction on where I went wrong,
>> how to fix it and/or what I should have done instead?
>
>We'll I've added my 2cents, but take it with a grain of salt, because I
>can't even get my kernel to compile and boot.
>
>Clint

Thanks for the response Clint.