Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 1998:
[aclug-L] Printer in debian 2

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Printer in debian 2
From: Wesley Simon <wsimon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 14:59:00 -0500

I recently installed Debian 2.0.  I have a HP Deskjet 500C.  I configure it as
b&w only so it won't print everything in color.  This is not the problem.  I can
do a "cat filename > /dev/lp1" and print out a stair-stepped text file.  I found
a really good filtering program called apsfilter.  I make it all the way through
the installation and print a test page within the menu-based install program.
As soon as I exit and try to "lp testfile," it says:

connection to 'localhost' failed - Connection refused
job 'cfA535amd.' transfer to ascii@localhost failed

lprm outputs:

cannot open connection to `ascii@localhost' - Connection refused

lpq:

Host 'localhost' - cannot open connection to `ascii@localhost' - Connection
refused

I can take all filtering commands out of my /etc/printcap and print
stair-stepped text, but this worse than not printing (waste of paper).

I also tried a different filtering program called magicfilter and got similar
results.  This leads me to believe that its originating from permissions or a
config file rather than the filtering program.

Any suggestions?

Wes